Saturday, January 22, 2011

Zumba!

Have you heard of Zumba? Do you see ads for it and wonder what it is? I did. Then I noticed that my gym had Zumba classes. I thought, "Okay, fine. I'll try it."



One evening I talked my sister into going to a class. As soon as the music started we regreted our decision. We felt SO clumsy and uncoordinated! After the first song, my sister looked at me and said, "Jessica, what have you gotten me into!?"

We laughed our way thruogh the whole class and on the drive home we both said we had several moments where we felt like Baby on "Dirty Dancing".

You see, Zumba is advertised as an easy (*snort*) to follow, Latin based aerobic class. Perfect for all generations and fitness levels.

You have to go at least three times before you feel like you're starting to get it. I do have to admit that I'm starting to have fun with it though. We took a beginners class that explained all of the steps and how you can make it as easy or as hard as you want. Since then, we both feel like we're learning the dances and can anticipate the next steps.

We have been going to all the classes that our gym offers and we got to experience a new teacher on Monday. WHEW! Picture this...

A teeny-tiny woman (probably 5' and a size 0.) walks into the room and greets us with an extremely perky attitude. My sister and I just look at each other and roll our eyes. Then she turns on the music. It's different than the other teacher uses and it's WAY different steps! OH NO!!!


After an hour of jumping around to very upbeat music we were covered in sweat. We left the class feeling like it was our first one, but we continued to go and actually like both teachers a lot.

When we're done with the Biggest Loser Challenge, we'll be able to take a Zumba class nearly every day of the week!

If you've never tried it, you should. Step out of your comfort zone and take an opportunity to feel silly! Remember, you have to go at least three times before you completely give up.

2 comments:

  1. Ha! Great Post! Mrs C and Nat have done Zumba. Apparently being a perky size-0 must be a prerequisite for all the instructors! It is a very popular class at our gym. I've resisted any urge to join in...I'm no dancer what-so-ever. Remember the bumper sticker: "Hug a musician. They never get to dance." :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe I've actually told Dianna that the reason I PLAY an instrument is so that I don't have to dance. (cuz, let me tell you... I was standing where I could see myself in the mirror of the classroom... NOT pretty! LOL!) I think that bumper sticker is awesome!

    ReplyDelete