Sunday, January 16, 2011

The Settlers of Catan

I think I've mentioned before that we love playing games. Board games, that is. We play video games too, but our true love is real strategy board games. Games like Sequence, Mancala and Clue. Our most favorite is The Settlers of Catan though.

Catan is a special kind of game. You can't find it just anywhere. You have to either order it online or know what stores sell it. I got lucky and found it at our local Barnes and Noble. It came with a set of Catan coasters! ; )

Our friends introduced us to it and even though it's a very complicated game that can take hours to play, it's so much fun!

There are many versions of it too. You can buy expantion sets to mix it up and play with new adventures. The company also makes other games like Puerto Rico which is completely addicting.

Last night our friends came over and we spent a good 3 hours playing the Sea Farers version of Catan. It would take me a long time to explain how you play, but I will tell you that you get to collect resources, build settlements, cities, roads and set sail on the "open sea" to explore new islands.


As the game was being set up we were marvelling at the enormity of the board set-up. My friend said simply, "It's gonna be awesome!" And it was!

Of course, as usual, I got completely hosed in last night's game, but I laughed so hard I cried during the process. If you're ever in need of a new game to play, come on over and we'll teach you to play Catan. You'll thank us!

4 comments:

  1. I've refused for YEARS to learn how to plan that game...simply because it takes forever to play and I was going against the flow of all my friends lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. HAHA! We love board games so when the opportunity to learn a new one came up, we grabbed it with both hands. It is SO much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have the regular+extension, sea farers + extension and for Christmas got Tim the trails to rails (map of the US) where it's boasts of 2 hr long games on the box (the others say about 1/2 hr I think). Verdict is still out if we like that one tho...Tim plays online all the time. If only I had the time! So addicting, we love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have you tried Carcassone? It is a little quicker (30-45 mins) and less passive.

    ReplyDelete