Monday, January 24, 2011

M.T.S.

Do you want to know what M.T.S. stands for? Muffin Top Syndrome. Do you know what M.T.S. is? I'm sure you've seen it around. It's usually the result of people wearing a smaller size pant than they should. Perhaps you've seen it at the mall, your place of work or maybe even your own bedroom mirror. I know I have.

It's called a "muffin top" for obvious reasons. There are plenty of names for that lovely shape around so many of our middle sections. "Spare Tire", "Love Handles" and my personal favorite "Dunlap". (Because your belly done lapped over your belt!)


Regardless of what we call it, the lovely middle section that so many of us carry is unsightly and most definately unhealthy. I've been told by many different friends and doctors that being shaped like an apple is more unlealthy than being shaped like a pear. (At least for women.) This makes sense to me because if you're shaped like an apple, you carry your fat around your vital organs. Where as if you're shaped like a pear, you carry your fat mostly around the big muscles in your body. However, both are not desirable. The question is, what do we do about it?


I discovered the answer yesterday in a class I took at the gym. The key is twisting and leaning from the waist. We did several different movements that worked those particular muscles and I knew by the end of the class that I would be paying for it today. My sides and middle have never been this sore! I can barely bend over to get the clothes out of the dryer.


I will continue to go to the class even though it wasn't my favorite because someday I want to be cured of my Muffin Top Syndrome. How about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment