Sunday, January 2, 2011

"Until Death Do Us Part"

A couple days ago my husband, Eric and I celebrated our 10th wedding anniversary. I know that compared to some of you, that's not very long, but compared to most couples today, it's a big deal. We worked really hard to get through the last ten years and quite frankly, I'm proud of us for still being together!

I'd like to take a moment to share a couple things I've learned over the last ten years...

Before we got married, we had a lot of people tell us we shouldn't go through with it. Including family members and very close friends. I'm glad we were secure enough in our relationship to know at such a young age (19) that what we had was for real. I've learned that even though they may mean well, family and friends don't always give the best advise.

Upon waking up on the third day after our wedding, I remember watching my new husband go through the same EXACT routine for the third day in a row. You should know that we were in a different place all three mornings, and the routine stayed the same, despite the change in location. I vividly remember sitting on the end of the bed in our hotel room in Florida and thinking "What have I done?" I've learned not to interrupt Eric in his morning routine... it's better for everyone if he's left alone to complete those morning tasks.
This is us on our honeymoon in Disneyworld.


My body doesn't handle pregnancy well. Being pregnant with twins was really difficult for both Eric and I. There was a day that I had a really bad migraine and didn't quite make it to the bathroom in time. After getting myself cleaned up, I returned to the bathroom to clean up the mess and Eric made me go lay down and insisted on cleaning it up. I learned that once someone has cleaned up after you, you love them a LOT more! (Thanks honey!) This is me just before the twins were born.



When our sons were born, Eric was by my side on pins and needles. We knew he doesn't like the sight of blood, but he couldn't resist jumping up to cut the cord when our twins were born. He didn't make it to see the second twin born... he passed out and was wheeled out of the operating room in a wheel chair. My mother was sent in to be with me until he regained consciousness. (He will never hear the end of that either!) I've learned that he isn't the one that should go to the ER with the boys. ; )

In ten years of marriage, I can count the number of times I've had to wash the dishes on my fingers. I've learned that sometimes it's okay that your husband doesn't know how to cook... because he'll clean if you cook!



We've been through some pretty tough times in the last several years. It's a miracle we're still together, but through it all, I've never once doubted Eric's complete devotion to me and our boys. If either of us faltered and wanted to leave it was me. He's an amazing father and a more amazing husband than I could have ever hoped for. We truly are blessed and I'm very glad we didn't listen to those people when they told us not to get married.

Happy 10th Anniversary Eric! Here's to many more wonderful years together! I love you dearly!

4 comments:

  1. Awesome...thanks for sharing! And congrats once again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on 10 years of marriage! I completely understand how tough it is to get married at 19 with lots of people telling you that you are too young and will never make it. I'm so encouraged to see you make it all the way to 10 years! We should definitely get together and talk sometime! :) Coffee date!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds like a fantastic idea Stephanie! Who am I to turn down a coffee date? And Thanks!

    ReplyDelete