Tuesday, October 5, 2010

"Before"

Two weeks ago, my Mom talked me into doing The Biggest Loser Challenge at the Eastside Athletic Club here in Clackamas, Oregon. I didn't really WANT to do it, but I knew I NEEDED to do it.

You see, I've gained about 40 lbs over the last four years. That's right folks... I just got put in the "obese" category. UGH! Since I'm "older" now, it's a lot harder to lose the weight. I can't just walk around the neighborhood with the kids and expect the pounds to fall off. I decided I needed to do something drastic. What I lacked was the motivation. When my Mom approached me about this challenge thing, I figured God was giving me a big neon "motivation" sign.

So, I signed up.

The Challenge is 8 weeks of your team (in my case, me and seven other people) meeting with your personal trainer twice a week. You compete against the other teams to see who loses the most weight.

Of course there is nutrition advise (which is depressing) and team accountability.

Tonight was our first session. My team seems pretty cool. Our trainer is one of those played-football-in-college-jocks, but he was very encouraging when I got on the scale tonight and burst into tears.

My goal for the 8 weeks is to lose 20 lbs. My overall goal is to lose 45-50 lbs. I'd like to have that accomplished by March. (Before our Ireland trip)

One of the fitness motivators I'm supposed to use is a journal, but I suck at that, so blogging is my solution. (Ya know, cuz I like blogging!) I debated about posting my starting weight here, but am completely mortified by it. So, what I will do is post my progress each week on our weigh-in nights.

Here is the "official" BEFORE picture, taken by my biggest cheerleader, Eric.

3 comments:

  1. Yea, Jess! You're gonna do great. No matter how much weight you lose, you'll become healthier and hopefully stick to those habits after the challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As someone who has struggled to maintain the high school weight since high school, I know the challenges of weight loss and body image. Its very difficult to come face to face with yourself and decide to make the life style changes needed for successful weight loss. The tears are natual when you have that moment (I've cried over my weight many times) but view them as you saying good bye to your current self and then get excited about the transformation and journy you are about to take. I'm very happy that you have decided to continue with this challenge even though your mother couldn't. View as investing into yourself and enjoy the results cause you will earn every milestone... keep us posted and we will keep sending support. :-)

    ReplyDelete