Sunday, July 11, 2010

Role Models

I would like to take a minute to tell you about one of my bigest role models in life.

His name is Kelly Carlisle, or Mr. C to those who had him as a teacher. Kelly was my choir teacher in high school. In fact, it was in his class that I met my husband! The reason he's been a big influence in my life wasn't his teaching abilities, his musician-ship or even his humor. It was his friendship and genuine intrest in my life that affected me the most.

During my senior year in high school, my family went through some really hard situations. On one particular day when I was supposed to be a TA for Kelly, he listened to me talk and cry about my struggles for the whole period. I'm sure he had lots of work he could have gotten done during that time, as well as work he could have put me to. The thing that stands out the most, is after hearing my pain for 80 minutes, he took me into his office and prayed with me. Something I'm sure he could have gotten into big trouble for.

To this day it stands out in my mind as a practical lesson showing how God's work is more important than the work of men. Thanks Kelly!

Kelly and I had coffee together last week. We had a lovely time visiting and sharing the latest news from each of our lives. He's pictured here with my boys.


No comments:

Post a Comment