Sunday, July 25, 2010

Giving is Better than Receiving

Today in church we heard from some of the missionaries we support. Laurel Hoyt is in Germany and Terry and Lori Lingel are in Mexico.

While we were watching the Lingel's presentation, we saw a pic of the kids in their orphanage riding bikes around the building. This picture wasn't a significant point in the presentation, but it opened my eyes in a very special way.

You see, my five-year-old son Daniel has just outgrown his bike. It's the cutest Thomas the Train bike that someone gave to us a couple years ago. We've been asking several of our friends if they wanted the bike for their children, but nobody had a need for it. I was at a loss, and thought we'd just have to take it to the Goodwill or something.

Until I saw that picture in the Lingel's presentation!

I asked Daniel if he would like to give his bike to the little kids in that picture. I explained that they lived in Mexico and didn't have nice bikes like ours.

Right from the beginning Daniel was so excited about giving his bike to these children! Everytime we saw a picture of the kids in the orphanage, he asked if thost kids would be using his bike. I told him yes, and that they would probably really like it. He seemed very happy about that.

I'm just so proud of my little man for his wonderful giving spirit! I hope to have the chance to grow that gift in him as he gets older.

This is Daniel riding his old bike. I'm sure he'll miss it, but it will be so much fun to see it being used by those children in Mexico!

2 comments:

  1. Good for you, Daniel!

    "This service that you perform is not only supplying the needs of God's people but is also overflowing in many expressions of thanks to God."
    ~ 2 Corinthians 9:12

    ReplyDelete
  2. Daniel,
    You rock, little man! Thanks for passing along the joy to another rider! And for being a great example for the rest of us to follow.

    ReplyDelete