Sunday, April 18, 2010

Weekend in Sisters OR, Part 4

Sunday was our last day in Sisters. We had our breakfast at the lodge again, and of course, decided that a visit to the Sisters Coffee Co. was a necessity.

After we checked out, we got into the car and turned onto the highway. This is where we noticed something strange. A group of people parked on the side of the highway with camp chairs waving American flags. We wondered aloud what they were doing, but kept driving. We were, after all, on a mission for caffine!

As we pulled into town, we noticed more of these locals sitting or standing on the side of the streets waving flags. Some of them were holding home made signs. We caught a glimpse of what these signs said. "WELCOME HOME TROOPS!!!" Ahhhhh... it was all making sense now. We discussed how nice it was that this town came together to show their pride toward these brave men and women! We were still on a mission though.

After getting our coffee, we decided to cheer for the troops along with these nice people. We found a good place to stand so we weren't in any one's way, and waited. Pretty soon there was a loud noise in the distance. Then you could see a cop car followed by at least 200 rumbling motorcycles decked out in red, white and blue!

All of the sudden fire engines started screaming and horns started honking. People were cheering and whistling for what we realized was a bus full of troops. But it wasn't just one bus... There were 8 buses!

I snapped picture after picture. And as I focused my camera, I was overcome with emotion. Suddenly, I had tears streaming down my face. I was so proud of all these men and women! They had bravely fought to protect our country!

It was an indescribable event to be a part of and I'm very glad to have been witness to it! Here are some of the many pics I snapped through my tears of pride and joy.










1 comment:

  1. I can only imagine how this felt for the soldiers as they returned home to this inspiring welcome!

    ReplyDelete