Tuesday, April 6, 2010

"STELLA"

For those of you who have followed me longer, you know that I love ducks. This is a new love... I didn't used to give them a second thought. That is, until they started camping out in our yard every spring! It started with just two, a male and a female Mallard. We lovingly named them Frank and Alice. They have returned every year for several years. They have become accustomed to us because we feed them. Alice will wait for us at the back door and will even peck on the door if we're not paying attention to her!


Last spring, a new guest arrived. She made a nest in our front yard between the house and a small tree. She was a very dilligent sitter. I rarely saw the nest with out her on top of it. I assumed that she wouldn't come back because we spent a lot of time taking pictures of her and checking on her. I thought she might decide we were annoying. I was wrong!


She's back again! Sitting on a new nest! We named her Stella. We're hoping to catch sight of the ducklings this year since we missed out on them last year. I hope I don't bore you with thousands of posts about my ducks! Here's a pic of our newest family addition.

3 comments:

  1. Wow...I didn't realize ducks were so cozy around houses and neighborhoods. Very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't either until we moved into this house. It's fantastic though. They have such cute personalities, and they make the cutest noises! Not to mention the slug control!

    ReplyDelete