Thursday, April 1, 2010

Honeycrisp Tree

I love apples. I love to eat them. I love to cook with them and I love to bake with them. Apples are such a versitile fruit.


As you've probably seen already, I have extended family that own orchards up in Parkdale, OR. A recent visit to them inspired me to get my own tree and try to grow some apples for myself. I'm a little nervous about this because I've not had the best success growing things in a garden. I've done some reading though, and I think I'll be okay. I may need some help come pruning time.


I decided on the Honeycrisp variety because they're my favorite and they're always SO expensive. Of course, I won't actually have fruit on my tree for several years, but the journey will be well worth it I'm sure.


We purchased our tree and planted it in the pouring rain. (Which I've heard is good because they need lots of water.) So far, it's still alive. Let's just hope it stays that way!




No comments:

Post a Comment