Sunday, September 19, 2010

Piano Lessons

This fall marked the beginning of piano lessons in the Banister household. That makes Mama happy!

Piano is something I wish I knew how to play. I'm jealous of people who can sit down and play such a complicated instrument like it's easy.

I realize that my children may not become virtuoso piano players, but they will have a basic knowledge of the instrument. I feel that it's a good skill to have and they will hopefully thank me later for making them take lessons.

So far, they enjoy it and ask if they can practice. We're only two weeks in though! Hopefully they will continue to like it. Just think of all the piano/flute duets we could play!

5 comments:

  1. and as an added benefit, they will become more proficient readers of written language (the coordination that it takes to read more than one staff at a time is correlated to reading skill)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Who knows...they might grow up to become music teachers! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very true Tina! Didn't think of that.
    Kelly, that would make Mom and Dad very happy. Although, one of them is completely tone def and rhythm deficient so we might have to find a sport he's good at. (Not sure how that happened!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. YES! I took 12 yrs - does that make me dumb:)?? I want both of my kids to start on the piano, as a base, for whichever instrument they choose next. I'm unsure of when to start them tho...Oh and daddy is tone deaf (heartily so), but doing choir in school so he had to read music did help - I should put him in choir again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Esther, I was told 6 is the best time to start because they are just learning to read and they're old enough to sit still for 30 minutes with a teacher at the piano... well, in theory...

    ReplyDelete