Sunday, May 15, 2011

Testing, One, Two, Three...

I have four weeks (from yesterday) until the triathlon. That means it's time to really get down and dirty with the training. I've been training for months, but I've never done a bike ride AND a swim or run on the same day. In the next couple weeks I'll be getting the fancy loaner bike from my Dad and I'll be able to combine all three events!

Until then, I still have lots of other ways to train. Take today for instance. My buddy Tina and I decided today was the day we were going to test out our new wetsuits. IN. THE. LAKE. Yes, that's right folks! We went swimming outside, on a 50 degree day, in the pouring rain.

It went well. At least, as well as could be expected. It was cold of course, but the wetsuits did their job and kept us from getting too cold. It took me a couple minutes to catch my breath, but once I did, the swimming went better than I thought it would. We only swam about half of what we'll be doing on race day, but it was only our first time out on the lake. We'll be going back at least once a week until race weekend.

I definately need to work on getting out of a wet wetsuit quickly. I'm not sure how that's going to happen. It's hard enough getting in and out of when it's not wet and sticky. I also need to get over my fear of swimming in open bodies of water where I can't see the bottom. I don't like not knowing what's in the water with me... *shudders* Next time I should swim with my whole head in the water as well. This time the cold was a shock and I didn't want my whole head wet and make it worse.

WHEW! I must have gone crazy!

No comments:

Post a Comment