Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Asthma Swimming

Triathlon training is in full swing! That means lots of training swims in the lake. For those of you who may not be familiar with the Great Northwest, let me remind you that lake water is COLD in May around here. That fact makes a wetsuit required for swimming outdoors.


My buddy Tina and I have done a couple training swims at Blue Lake to make sure we can swim the distance in the wetsuit in a number of conditions. First we swam in pouring rain and 50 degree temps. Yesterday we swam in beautiful sunshine and near 70 degree temps.



I have to admit that I don't enjoy swimming in lake water. I always come out smelling like duck poop. So not attractive! I will continue to do it though because it's good training.


Yesterday's swim was supposed to be much better than our first one because the weather was beautiful. However, I didn't count on having an asthma attack in the middle of the lake. The scary thing is that I didn't even have my inhalers with me on the shore! That's a very dangerous oversight to make.


The ironic part is that my friend Kelly just wrote a series of blogs about asthma (http://ridebikesdrinkcoffee.blogspot.com/) as it relates to cycling. I commented on several of them. We discussed how important it is to ALWAYS have your meds with you and how having an "asthma action plan" makes your life so much better. I thought of this yesterday when I was in the middle of the lake struggling to breathe and knowing my meds were a good 20-30 minute drive back to my house. I felt like such a hypocrite!


Thankfully I made it home and am breathing fine again. Lesson learned... for now. I can tell you that won't happen again anytime soon!

1 comment:

  1. Hey...you're swimming laps around me right now! Sounds like you learned your lesson about inhalers so I won't chide you any further about that. But congrats on the preparation for the triathlon!
    Between work and an unplanned virus, my efforts to swim better have stalled out. I don't feel ready yet to do a tri, but I'm still motivated to work at it! Especially when a couple of my heroes (aka you and Tina) are paving the way!
    Maybe, sometime soon, an old man can join the two of you. For now, know that I'm cheering you both on!
    KC

    ReplyDelete