Sunday, March 6, 2011

"Bust"

About a month ago I posted a blog about our planned trip to Ireland. Then a week after that I posted about having a really bad day. Well, I wasn't able to share details about it all until now because nothing was set in stone. Now it is... the hardest of stones.

We've had a big financial blow in the last month. We had no way of seeing it coming and were completely blindsided. It had to be taken care of immediately though and the only way of doing so was to use our Ireland money.

We've had to postpone our trip for yet another year. (We had planned on going last year, but felt it was more "responsible" to pay off a credit card.) It's incredibly disappointing, but sometimes that's the price we pay for being "grown-ups".

I spent that first day after recieving the bad news crying and being mad at the world, but I've moved on to acceptance.

We'll still get to go. And for that I'm thankful. (Really... I am!)

In fact it may be better because we won't have to plan our trip around a nephew being born. My sister and brother-in-law will be able to meet us there for a couple days and show us around Dublin. (They've already been there.) And who knows, maybe God is protecting us from a horrible plane crash where we end up stranded on an island inhabited by a polar bear, a smoke monster and Benjamin Linus! ; )

We will have a whole year to save even more money to play with in Ireland. Of course we have to recover what we've lost, but that won't be too hard.

I've learned that even though I've had to change my plans, I'm still a very blessed person. At least we had the option of taking care of this mess right away. It could have been really bad, but within a month, we're back to our normal lives. Well... as normal as we can be...

I am trying really hard to not be a total grump about life right now. I hope you understand if I sometimes post something that's a little grumpy. ; )

3 comments:

  1. :( You guys will get there, and when you do, it will feel soooo good and be an amazing vacation.

    It's great that you can keep such a good attitude despite suffering a major financial blow and realizing you can't do Ireland this year. I'm always impressed by that about you. Yes, you get grumpy -- everyone does -- but you're always capable of knowing you're loved and blessed. Because of that, you guys will make it to Ireland eventually and have a blast, because you deserve it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that your sense of humor is clearly still intact. LOVE the LOST references.

    Way to stay upbeat while at the same time being realistic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was wondering if anyone would catch that one. Thanks for that Katie!

    ReplyDelete