Thursday, August 19, 2010

Banister's First Road Trip #6

After our fun-filled three days in the Redwood Forest, we had to "load 'em up and move 'em out". Our next and final destination was Chico, CA.

Of course, the day we need to pack all our camping gear up nice and tidy because we won't be using it anymore... it's raining. Eric and I work like a well oiled machine when camping though. So despite our wet weather, we got everything packed up fairly quickly and were on our way.

We took Hwy 101 south until we hit Hwy 299 and headed east.

Now, if you look at Hwy 299 on a map, it looks pretty curvy. When you're actually driving it, it's much worse! It's a LONG drive over the river (the Trinity River) and through the mountains (several actually). After a quick stop just outside Willow Creek where we sat in the shade for 30 minutes to allow poor little Daniel to get over his "yucky" feeling, and passing out Benadryl to everyone in hopes that they'd sleep and not puke, we were trucking along.

The scenery was beautiful, but it took all my concentration to stay at a safe speed while going around all the turns. We were pretty loaded down and the van wasn't very happy with me. I was thankful when we finally hit Redding!

We fuled up and took a quick potty break before we hit I-5 south once more. The boys were so excited that we were almost there. Once we turned off of I-5 onto Hwy 99 they were making us NUTS!

"How many more miles Daddy?" EVERY. SINGLE. MILE.

We finally arrived at "Auntie Stephanie's" house. After unpacking and having some dinner I took the boys down to the pool for a quick swim before bedtime.

I was so tired from driving all day that I don't have any pics for this post. Sorry!

1 comment:

  1. I've been on that road. It's the only one my brother has ever gotten carsick on.

    ReplyDelete