Thursday, May 10, 2012

Dublin Bound

Our last morning in London was spent packing up and hauling our stuff to the airport. We decided that since Heathrow is such a busy airport we would just arrive way early. We ended up being there 4 hours early though because we didn't think the Tube would get us there that fast!

We had a leisurely brunch and wrote and sent some postcards while we waited.

As our gate opened we headed down to the area and met a nice couple from Canada who were on our flight. We chatted with them through the various check points on the way to our gate.

As they started calling people to board the plane, Eric pointed out a man carrying a very battered, old looking instrument case. He asked me what instrument I thought it was and I told him it was a violin. Then we started commenting on the man carrying the instrument. Eric said that he looked just like Elvis Costello. I agreed and we chuckled about the similarity.

When we boarded the plane the man was sitting in first class having a discussion with another man in his row about their seats. We made eye contact as I passed and exchanged a friendly smile. I didn't really think anything else of it.

When we got settled in our seats, Eric informed me that the man was in fact Elvis Costello! So we have had our first celebrity sighting! That was kind of a fun way to start our journey to Irealnd.

The flight was uneventful and even though the customs guy was irritated with me when I couldn't understand what he was asking me, our first impressions of Ireland are pretty friendly.

We took a bus to our hostel and got settled before heading out for some grub. We ate at a little pub on the same block as our hostel because the restaraunt was closed when we entered the dining room, so the owner took us down to the pub and served us there. Very nice of him! I had the lamb stew and it was incredible! I could eat that everyday. In fact, we're going back tonight because Eric wants to try it too!

Our hostel is very nice in hostel standards, but in Jessica standards, it lacks a lot. It's basically like living in a college dormitory, which I've discovered I'm too old for. The bed sucks and the "breakfast" consists of corn flakes and toast. (Yuck) It's only for a few days though and I'll live. Eric tried to convince me that it's like fancy camping... whatever. ; )

1 comment:

  1. Ah, hostel life! Although you say the hostel is lacking a lot, in my experience hostels can be a lot more fun than hotels because the patrons actually interact more. I hope that's your experience as well, it makes travelling a lot more fun when you get to meet interesting new people in a foreign country!

    ReplyDelete